First aid

What to do if your child drinks a toxic cleaning product

What to do if your child drinks a toxic cleaning product

We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

In the first place, when a new member arrives in the family, in the case of a small child, it must be borne in mind that you must modify your daily life habits And that includes some things inside the home, so we can avoid accidents.

We all know that children are very curious at a very young age and they want to play as well as try new things, and if they find it in drawers, what a treasure they have found!

One of the most common causes of accidental poisoning during childhood is due to ingestion of cleaning products, according to a study by the Sant Joan de Déu Hospital in Barcelona, ​​in which it is written that one in every 300 children who have visited the emergency service came for a possible ingestion of a poison.

We tell you what to do if the child drinks a toxic cleaning product.

According to the study, the first cause of consultation for suspected poisoning in minors is the consumption of drugs and the second, that of household products or cleaning.

This type of accident happens around under five years and 15% are produced because the contents of the original container have been transferred to another container, a bottle of water or similar.

The first thing to know is that it is an avoidable accident, if adequate safety measures are taken at home to prevent these cleaning products (bleach, ammonia, detergents, caustic soda, dishwasher, toilet cleaner, etc.) from being within reach of children. Cleaning products should be kept in raised cabinets, in lockable drawers or drawers that are not easily accessible to the minor.

A second barrier to take into account is the protection of packaging itself, such as safety plugs or special packaging to avoid this type of accident. Every time a cleaning product is used make sure it is closed properly.

But how can we know if the child has ingested a cleaning product? There are unequivocal symptoms that will help us to identify if there is an intoxication. It is not necessary that they all occur at the same time, it is enough that they give one for us to react.

  • Vomiting (sometimes bloody, can be dark vomit)
  • Irritation outside the mouth, on the tongue, gums and throat
  • Swelling of the mouth and lips
  • Difficulty swallowing and breathing
  • Sore throat and chest when swallowing
  • Fever
  • Excessive drooling
  • Burns on the skin
  • Irritability of the child
  • Breathing sounds, such as whistling or hoarseness
  • In the most serious cases: perforations, ulcers and closures of the esophagus.
  • As soon as possible, and at the slightest suspicion of intoxication, it is necessary to notify the emergency services, or the Institute of Toxicology if there is one, to ask for indications or, where appropriate, go urgently to the primary care center or hospital, and take the product ingested by the child with them, this facilitates subsequent medical treatment.
  • Give nothing to eat or drink, because if you give it something that will help it to pass faster to the intestine.
  • Never make him vomit. If he has not vomited on his own, do not provoke it. Since the product itself is as aggressive to enter as to exit, that is, it is necessary to avoid duplicating the passage of the harmful substance through the esophagus.
  • Try to find out the amount of product that has ingested and comment it to the doctor.
  • Control the time elapsed after accidental ingestion.
  • Always first of all stay calm, it can be something very difficult to maintain, but it will help you avoid making mistakes.

Simple preventive measures should be taken:

  • All household and cleaning products must keep it in a high place to which the child cannot access and place safety mechanisms in the cabinets where they are stored, such as latches or locks with a key.
  • Always keep watch to the little ones, since they take advantage of any moment to do their own thing.
  • While the cleaning is being carried out, the products should never be left within the reach of the minor, but stored and well closed.
  • Always apply these measures anywhere the child goes, such as the grandparents' house, and maintain vigilance when visiting a space where security cannot be controlled.

You can read more articles similar to What to do if your child drinks a toxic cleaning product, in the First Aid category on site.

Video: How the food you eat affects your gut - Shilpa Ravella (May 2022).